Ad

Friday, May 8, 2015

Blast from the Past! Why I love movies!

Yesterday, I got a blast from the past.  They released the trailer for Vacation.  I remember the first one.  My father brought us to that movie.  That is the one thing we loved to do together.  When we did get to see him, he would scrounge up enough money to take us to a movie.  When we lived in California, we'd go see double feature films.  A lot of those times, it would be R rated films.  By watching all of those movies, I gained an appreciation for film.

It is an appreciation that I was able to turn into a minor in college.  Those classes gave me even more appreciation of film.  They also taught me to watch film from different view points.  I learned that some of the best films are the ones that need to be watched multiple times to understand or find greater meaning.  I am not a film snob.  I love all movies.  I will give most movies a chance.  This week I saw Hot Pursuit and Pitch Perfect 2.  I did so with an open mind.  I loved Hot Pursuit, but Pitch Perfect 2 was more for teens.  To me it felt like a 2 hour episode of Glee.

Getting back to films.  That love of films that my father shared with me is now shared with my daughters.  Three out of four of them love movies.  As they grow older, I can point out things that I have learned over the years.

No comments: