Ad

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Journey Back to Oceanside

I went back to Oceanside yesterday.  I did this through Google Maps.  I checked out our old home:  1735 Alvarado Street, Oceanside, CA, if you'd like to visit.  The house is similar, but different.  I actually looked it up and it was built in 1948 and is worth over $500,000.  This is because of California real estate pricing and not the house.  I know I would not have paid that much for the house we lived in.  To me, it was worth more like $79,000.

The area around has changed.  The 7-11 is now a gas station.  It used to be a side store.  The auto garage has a different name.  The Winchell's doughnuts is now a generic doughnut store.  Some things are still the same.  The Angelo's burgers is still where it was.  The DAV where we used to dumpster dive as children still stands.  The Boys Club is still in the same building.  It is now a Boys and Girls Club.  I am proud to say I attended the same facility that Junior Seau attended.  I cannot say if we attended at the same time, but it is the facility.  There is a gym that he had built across the street.

My old schools are still standing.  South Oceanside Elementary has grown since I attended.  They used to have a big field and playground.  That has shrunk due to growth of the school.  Laurel Elementary has grown some, but from the front it looks like it did when I attended it.

The hotel/motels that my dad stayed at are still there.  They may have new names, but they are still there and in the same condition.  I even saw the Star movie theater that he used to take us to.  It is an old style movie theater.  From what I saw, it still is in business.

If Google has mapped areas that you used to live in, try it out.  You can take a street view journey through your area.  

No comments: