Ad

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Born in East LA

Oceanside is close to San Diego.  San Diego is near Mexico.  I remember one time we staying at my father's motel.  He had a job with the YMCA.  We were walking home at night.  His place was right near the train tracks.  Suddenly, probably slower than that, a freight train appeared.  You could see people running up to the side to board the train.

Later in his life, my dad told me of an incident where he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  A bunch of INS agents swarmed the area he was in.  They rounded up people and drove them back to the border.  My dad was one of them.  He was able to convince them that he was an American citizen.  They had picked him up because he had black hair and tanned skin.

That reminded me of Cheech Marin's Born in East LA.  If you have not seen it, it was a fun movie.  Because of my dad's story, you will know it can happen.

No comments: