Ad

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Baseball a Love/Hate Relationship

When I was younger, I used to play baseball every spring.  It was fun.  I thought I was pretty good.  As I grew older, I learned I was okay.  That is getting a little ahead of the story.
In California, we played baseball all the time.  I collected baseball cards every chance I cold get.  We even had the opportunity to see live games.  Our team was the San Diego Padres.  I would say I preferred playing it versus watching it.  It could get boring.
One time, we went to a Padres game with the Boys Club.  I got to get autographs due to a person from the Club.  She ran the arts and crafts at the club.  She had become friends with one of the pitchers.  She was able to get me a signed ball.  I also got autographs on a program.  One of the highlights was Gary Carter.  He was playing for the Expos at the time.
As I grew older, I started to loose interest in the sport.  I tried out for my high school team.  I did not make the cut.  When I saw it was mainly a group of friends who had made it, I concluded that I would never make it.
After that, I kept hearing stories about drug abuse and how certain players wanted or deserved tons of money.  I just got tired of professional sports in general.  It just became a sport of athletes who make too much money doing what they do.  I will watch every once in a great awhile, but with all the money in professional sports, I just don't care for it.

No comments: