Ad

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Bargaining a skill that must be honed!

As China quickly approaches, Angie is honing her bargaining skills.  Some yard workers came around the other day to see if they could do some cutting and trimming.  We had a palm tree that had died in our yard.  The HOA's (Home Owner Association, for those that do not know what one is, it is a group of neighbors that tell the neighborhood how to keep your yard and house.  This is done in the belief that it will keep home values high.  They are not always successful.  Also, you have to pay fees for common areas to be kept up.  These people do not know how to handle money) yard crew had already taken out the trees across from our house.  But, since they are in our yard, they are our responsibility.  So, Angie went into bargaining mode.  I think the offer was $125 to trim a tree.  Angie was able to add in the palm tree and get them down to $75.  The next day, they were asking if anything else needed to be done around the house.  She told them that we did not have the money due to the adoption, but after we might.  I think she is already plotting on how to bargain them down.  I'm glad she likes to do it.  It is too exhausting for me.  I just stand off to the side and let her do her thing.  The people selling usually turn to me for assistance.  I just throw up my hands and say talk to her, can't help you.

I have to get my mindset ready also.  If you go into a place that bargains, you have to be prepared.  As I have said, I am the passive one in these situations.  When we go into a business (bargaining shops tend to be multiple stalls in one building), the sales people will focus in on you in a heart beat.  They are like sharks to blood.  If they see you bleed(spend any money), they will be upon you.  I try to walk down the center of the aisles and use side glances to look.  Interest in anything will get you ten minutes of hard selling.  If I see something I like, I keep on walking.  Then I group up with Angie and give her details.  At this point, she can formulate her strategy.  I love it when I have a child to push in a stroller.  The tend to run distraction.  Only the most trained salespeople can pick up what I am doing.  Believe me, they are highly trained.  If you ever go, go to a yard sale or flea market and try to talk down the people from their set prices.  It's a start, but you won't know pressure until you are in China trying to buy something for a lower price.

No comments: