Ad

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Families and Adopting from China

When you adopt from another country, it should be a very happy moment in your life.  It is like giving birth to a child and taking them home from a hospital.  I'd like to say that your friends and family will be happy and encouraging, but that is not always the case.  I worked with a guy that every time I mentioned China he would call it Red China.  Even when it comes to raising money, don't be surprised if you are going through this alone.  I've heard comments like "why are you adopting, if you don't have the money?"  I'd like to say to those people giving birth to children who have health insurance "why are you using health insurance to give birth to a baby you created?"  Even when you get home, you need to prepare for the backlash, the looks, and even the whispered comments.  They are going to happen.  Be prepared to hear it from your family.  It happens.  I'd like to think that all families would be supportive of a person who adopts, but that is not always the way in America.  I can't speak for other countries, but I'm sure it exists.

I know that when my girls grow up, I will be supportive of anything they do.  Even if they make mistakes, I will be there to help them or offer support.  I have even heard them say that they would like to adopt one day.  I would encourage that and support any decision they make, unless it is against the law or puts their health in jeopardy.  

No comments: