Ad

Saturday, September 19, 2015

Chinese Crayfish

We went to Ikea last night for an all you care to eat Crayfish buffet.  Upon arriving at Ikea, we put Elana in a stroller.  We were hoping she would be happy to sit in it.  Once inside, we'd try to transfer her to a high chair.  Ikea does this every year.  We have attended once.  The last time we missed because tickets sold out for the event.  We got our tickets on time this year.

To do this event, Ikea closes off its dining hall to regular patron.  The only people allowed in have to show their tickets.  When we went it, the first thing we saw was lots of Asian customers.  I would say 50% were Asian.  The person seating us thought it would be a great idea for us to sit on high chairs.  We asked another person if we could move.  She said it was okay and just look for a  red piece of paper.  If that was there, it meant someone was already sitting there.

I found a nice table with four chair.  Luckily, another person was moving out a chair to make room for a highchair.  We snagged that one.  We tried to place Elana in the chair.  She did not like it.  So, I sat there with her.  Eventually, she got down.  At this point, everyone had returned.  I got in line.  I returned with my food to find Elana in a high chair.  I knew this was my moment to eat.  I sat down and chowed down.  I knew this moment would not last.  It did not.

After the sun went down, she wanted out of her chair.  I got up and held her in my arms.  She was content.  Some of the Asian families were looking at us and talking.  I don't know if it was because of Elana or all of the children.  I got smiles from some of the same people.  One child started pointing at Elana while talking to her mother.  Angie saw this.  The mother mouthed sorry.  Angie walked over to her and explained Elana's condition. The mother had to translate to her daughter, who only knew Mandarin.

It was a fun night.  The girls loved the food.  Elana and Mia did not like crayfish.  They had Swedish Meatballs and Potatoes.  Everyone had something they could eat.  We left Ikea stuffed.  When I was looking in the food market in Ikea, I saw the frozen crayfish.  The bag said Chinese Crayfish.  

No comments: