Ad

Friday, June 19, 2015

Souvenir Buying in China

In the past, or guide would have informed us not to buy things in our province and just wait till Guangzhou.  I think if she were still our guide, she would have told us to buy in our province.  I am glad Angie did.  Not only that, but it seems like they have the same things. Harbin was more Russian influenced.  Those things could not be found  in Guangzhou.

One example I can give is a doll Angie wanted.  It was the Fan Bingbing Barbie.  I kept my eyes open for it.  Finally, in Guangzhou I found it at a department store.  It had a price tag of $450 MEN.  That equals about $80 US. today, I found it for $35US.  You'd think it would be cheaper in China.  It is directed towards a Chinese market.

I had hoped to find DVD and music.  They could not be found.  We asked the guide and she said people could not make money selling them.  I did see one person selling current movies on DVD.  I did find one store in a mall.  The prices were reasonable.  I tried asking about Jay Chou and Pleasant Goat.  She smiled and shook her head.  She did not understand English.  I looked around.  I did find one CD.  It was a K-pop group called Bing Bang.  It was $50 RMB.  Roughly $9.00 US.  That was for three albums.

No comments: