Ad

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Things of Interest in Harbin, China

With our travel coming up, we have started to look at places to visit.  The agency said that we need to provide a list to the guide and he will set up what he can.  Looking at Harbin, there are a bunch of places to visit.  It depends on when we go.  If it were now, they have the snow and ice festival.  I did see some churches that I'd like to see.  Since Harbin is close to Russia, there is a Russian influence on the architecture.  There is also a Stalin Park, a holocaust museum, Sun Island and a Siberian Tiger Reserve.

For the food, I read that Harbin has many influences.  They include Russia, Korea, Mongolian and North China.  This might be an adventure for our palates.  One place I read that you can get a dinner for about 1.50 US.  They also warn you to carry small denominations of cash, so that you do not get counterfeit in return.  I know that we will definitely being eating local.  Angie will be interested in the shopping.  Central street sounds interesting.  They have Russian dolls, Vodka,  and other Russian made things.

Some other points of interest are Zhongyang Pedestrian Street, Sophia Square, Flood Control Memorial Tower, Temple of Bliss (Confucian Temple), Gogol Street, Sun Island, and the Unit 731 Museum.  With the exception of Temple of Bliss and Unit 731, I think they would be free of charge.  We'd go there mainly for taking pictures or shopping.  Temple of Bliss sounds a lot like the Temple of Heaven, so there probably will be a charge.  As will the Unit 731 museum.  I really would like to visit this museum.  It was created to show the atrocities the Japanese committed against Chinese citizens and POW's, even Americans.  I read a book about it.  Sounds like a Nazi death camp.  I'm surprised I did not learn about it in history.  It might be because the US granted immunity to the people committing the crimes for their "research".

No comments: