Ad

Monday, April 20, 2015

Catfishing?

There is a documentary and an MTV show called Catfish.  This is where a person starts a relationship with someone on the Internet and they are not as they describe themselves.  If that is incorrect, I am sorry, I have not seen either.  I had just read information about it.

About a week or two ago, a person friended me on Facebook.  I did not know if they were someone that was a friend of someone that I was friends with or a reader of the blog.  It turns out it was neither.  She was looking for a person to marry.  I had to advise her that I am married.  I even told her she might want to add more information on her page.  I do not know if it is real or not.  She has one picture and no other information.  A big red flag for anyone looking for fraud on Facebook.  She keeps sending out hello messages.  I say hello.

The other day, she says she needs to talk to me.  She says she needs help.  I quickly point out that I do not have money.  I wrote that I am as poor as the homeless man that sleeps in front of my workplace.  She says she does not want money, but wants me to send her a laptop for school.  I tell her I do not have one to give.  Then I played Devil's Advocate, I asked her if I did, what was she going to give in return?  Anyone that would give her something would expect something.

Later that night, Facebook had shut her page down.  I guess someone had reported her as fraud.  The next day, her page had been reinstated.  I have not seen any posts.  She may not send anymore messages if she thinks I complained.  I held off posting to see if I got any more messages.  None.  I unfriended that person and they have not tried to re friend me.

No comments: