Ad

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

The Paper Chase

Well, its begun.  The back and forth of an adoption.  We have sent off for birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc.  I have even started the book reading.  Of course the book I am reading seems to be for beginners.  At this point, I think we could teach this stuff.  I don't understand why this author keeps stressing that International adoptions are a buyer beware proposition.  They act like once you get home and discover the child has problems than they are yours to deal with.  Are they trying to say that if you adopt from America and find that the child has issues, you can trade them in for a better model or get some money back.  The way I see it, once you sign on the dotted line, that child is your child.  You will have to find help for them if there are issues.  That goes for where ever you choose to adopt from.  From our foster days, we learned that most of the children,  the DCF will adopt out, have been through some kind of trauma.  The healthy babies are a different story.  Even if the adoption is paid for through foster departments, issues will arise once the child gets older.  Good parents learn how to find help for their children.  It may take time and create issues, but that is what becoming a family is all about. 

As the papers go back and forth, my wife is already looking for a special needs child.  At this rate, we may be going back by next year.  As much as it excites me, I hope we can raise money to pay for some of the up front costs.  We will figure it out.  Guess I better start using my Rosetta Stone for Mandarin. 

No comments: