Ad

Monday, September 29, 2014

Bargaining: The fun way to shop in China

In China, they have a lot of stores.  We went to many malls.  The stores we liked the best were the ones that allowed bargaining.  Well, for my wife, it was an adventure.  I tended to stay away from it.  These stores tend to look like a flea market.  It is usually in a building and is sectioned off by what they sell.  Some things that they sell may not be a true item.  A lot of what we saw tended to be knockoffs or counterfeit.  For things like souvenirs, it was cheaper than department stores or specialty stores.

Bargaining is a process that can wear a person down.  My wife would walk up to something and usually it will not have a price.  Once you ask, they process has started.  Generally, they will ask you what you would like to pay for it or they will tell you.  But they price quoted is usually high.  Then it becomes like a tennis match.  She will lob a price over the net and it will be struck down with a counteroffer.  To gain traction, one could note imperfections that should devalue it.  They will usually scoff at that and tell you it is superior.  Another tactic is to walk away.  As you do, look over your shoulder.  That will make some nervous.  They will try to get you to walk back.

At this point, it is getting down to the final offer.  They will go on about how they are losing money or some other excuse to get you to pay the higher price.  My wife will throw in one last offer.  If they keep waffling, she will put it down and turn.  Sometimes, this is when they might give in or try one last counter.  Depending how close it is to her set number, she may accept.

When bargaining, once you start the dance, it is considered rude if you walk away after meeting the number that you both agree on.  If you are a hard bargainer, they respect that.  I think there is a point that people should not cross.  We witnessed others being rude and totally disrespectful to the clerks.  They may put the stuff down and say they will only pay this amount and not even try to bargain.  What is sad is that some actually will give in.  I'd just tell them to walk.  I guess it depends on how much they want to sell it and how much it costs them.

At the end, it is time to go back to the room and rest.  It will drain you.  I get tired just watching my wife do it.  I'd probably be a bad bargainer.  I would give in to quick or just walk away and not return.  When I walk through these shops, I try not to make eye contact.  Once you do, they start the process.  I just point to my wife and say she is looking.

No comments: