Ad

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Siberian Cold Front

In America, we are used to Arctic cold fronts.  In China, they have Siberian cold fronts.  We experienced it on our first trip.  In Guangzhou, the front hit.  It was like Florida.  We were cold one day and then back to being warm.  Of course, when you have a baby with you, you have to bundle them up.  This is for more than just keeping your child warm.  I will discuss this in a later post. 

On our last visit, we got to really experience a Siberian cold front.  It hit Beijing.  On the day it hit, we were in sightseeing mode.  We were visiting the Forbidden City.  This plus the cold make it sound desolate.  Being from a warm state, I was only semi prepared.  I did not have a toboggan.  I had a hat.  When the wind blew, I knew why Russians wore those hats.  Suffice it to say, I was freezing.

Then we saw a vendor selling Chinese Ushankas (the Russian hat I was referring to.  My wife decided to bargain with the vendor.  A few minute later, she came over with  a nice warm hat.  I quickly proceeded to put it on.  I was in heaven.  This hat kept my head warm.  Another member had also bought one.  He was proud of his bargaining abilities.  That is until Angie revealed what she was able to get the vendor down to.


For the rest of that day, I was warm in my new hat.  If I go back in winter time, I will make sure to bring warm head gear.

No comments: