Ad

Sunday, September 7, 2014

Taking The Train

In my life, I can only remember taking the train to travel one time.  It was in California.  My dad brought us the San Diego from Oceanside on an Amtrak train.  I only slightly remember that trip.  I was thrilled to find out that on our third adoption we would have to take a train from Guangzhou to Hong Kong.  I thought HK was an island, but they had built tracks to go to it.

Enter the station, we noticed a large escalator going up multiple floors.  In the ceiling, there was a large glass dome, with an intricate design.



Departing trains have to go to the third floor.  I found this to be strange.  I could see it if it was on an elevated track.  Gathering our bags and children, we went to the escalator.  This was a challenge.  Every adoption we have been on, we have added luggage.  We say we are not going to go overboard, but we always seem to find a deal or hand made things we can not pass up.  When we are with a group that is fine.  Some of the other people, in the group, offer to help.  The problem comes when you go home.  The group starts thinning out and its just you, your wife and the children.  My wife generally ends up carrying the child and taking care of tickets and passports.


Once we had maneuvered the escalator, there was a section for departing trains.  We sat our luggage down and waited to be called.  The wait was short.  At this point we left our guide, or our guides assistant.  We checked in and were led down a hall to another area where we showed our passports and tickets.  We had our security check, like the TSA check areas in America.  Then we went into another room.  This was the lobby for the train departures.  It slowly filled up as we waited.  At first, we resisted the temptation of the gift shops.  As our wait dragged on, we had to get something to drink.

The waiting area was above the tracks.   Our wait dragged on.  The train was late.  Kayla and I watched the trains come and go from our window.

The train finally ended up arriving, albeit late.  We had to gather our things.  This was a huge challenge.  We had to gather multiple bags, children, a stroller and a wheelchair.  I looked like one wrong move and I would be on the ground.  Luckily, we got assistance  from some of the passengers.  They helped us get the stuff to the train.  I was happy once we were sitting in our seats.  Our luggage ended up going in holding area between cars.

The train ride was pleasant enough.  We got to see lots of the Chinese countryside up to the coast.  As we arrived in HK, it was getting dark.  I was hoping we could get around and tour HK, but 8 or 9 at night when we arrived.  We had to be up early to catch a flight to America.









No comments: