Food Recalls, Sticker Shock, and My Homemade Solution
Tired of all these recalls? Tired of all the chemicals they are putting into our prepared foods? Tired of prices going up every week? I have a solution: make it yourself. Yesterday, I made English Muffins. I found a recipe on the web. I doubled it. I started adding the ingredients to my bread maker. When I hit flour, I found out I had a problem. It asked for 12 cups of flour. My bread machine will not hold that much. I added 6 and prayed that it would not fail. When it was done with the dough cycle, I opened the top. It was liquid ooze. It was bubbling. When dealing with yeast, you want to see that. It means the yeast is working. I poured it into a bowl and added 6+ cups of flour. I needed enough where I could touch it and not fully stick to my fingers. I oiled it and covered it to rise. It did! I rolled out the dough and cut out the muffins and then let it rise again. In the end, I came up with more than 25! We tried them. It was good. I kept half in the fridge for breakfast and froze the rest. Why? No preservatives. It will mold after a couple of days if I left it on the counter. At the bottom I listed a reasonably price bread machine. They do have bigger versions. It just costs more. I love my machine. I have had it for over 20 years. It still works for me.
If you want to save money, find recipes on the web or refer to a cookbook. Think about things you can freeze and make later, like lunches and dinners. I love having dinners where I can pop it in the oven, without having to make it first. You know what is going into the meal. A lot of prepared meals, that you buy, have a lot of salt in it. You also cut back on the government surprises that can make you sick.
I have been doing this with a bunch of foods I want to eat. Donuts, cinnamon rolls, etc. When I want to eat out, I look up a recipe and buy the ingredients. I feel like I am saving money. At these prices, I have to do what I can do to save. The government is not going to help. With these recalls, it is getting scary buying things, especially meat and produce. Be careful buying your food! I guess trump that playing Russian Roulette with our foods would be fun!
Bread Machine Buy Now
Comments