Ad

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Branching into Korean and Japanese Music

After I had experienced Chinese music, I found that I liked it.  I couldn't get enough, but I was limited to what I could find.  On our third adoption, I watched a lot of the videos.  Unbeknowst to me, I was watching a mixture of Asian music.  I could only remember one group's name.  That name was Teen Top.  When we arrived home, I was getting into Jay Chou.  Then one day, I discovered PSY.

I was looking at Yahoo and they had a story about this video that had gone viral.  I watched it.  I was hooked.  I even played it for my daughters.  They thought it was okay.  When you watch a video on Youtube, it has links to songs that are similar or by the same artist.  I found out that PSY had been around for awhile.  He had released multiple albums.  Luckily, I found them on Itunes.

From here, I discovered a group that my daughters really liked.  That group was the Wonder Girls.  I went through many of their songs.  One song, "Like Money", stood out.  I had actually heard it on an American radio station.  If  I had known, I could have taken my daughters to see them in concert.  They made an appearance in Orlando.  Shortly after discovering them, they decided to take a rest.  Hopefully, they will do more in the future.

Youtube provided me with links to more Korean groups.  I found a lot that I like.  Big Bang, Crayon Pop, 2ne1, Miss A, Wa$$up, Tiny G, IU, etc.  I only wish that I could find Chinese groups as easily.  Then, one of my friends share a video from Japan.  That group was Babymetal.

Babymetal is a mix between death metal and J-Pop.  I liked it.  The  group is made up of 3 teenagers and a backing group of musicians.  This music is not for everyone.  Many of my friends and family do not like them.  I think it has more to do with the language barrier.  My thought is that you can barely understand the music they sing in America.  I just like the melody and words, even though I don't know what they might be singing about.

Stay tuned.  I will try to share some videos.

No comments: