Ad

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Work and Adoption #4. A new beginning during an adoption

The big day came at the big insurance company.  I had been hit with an error by an over zealous checker.  This person would give errors for a period spaced to far from a letter.  Our whole group was hit with errors.  I tried to explain, but it did not matter.  Things remained quiet for a couple of days.

This was at the same time we were about to receive our yearly bonus.  Meetings started to happen with individuals.  My supervisor scheduled a meeting downstairs.  I did not think anything of it.  I thought it was a normal meeting.  I was wrong.

I entered the room and an upper supervisor was sitting there.  In addition, they had an HR person on an conference call.  Once I heard her voice, I knew what was going to happen.  The supervisor starts by saying, "remember what I said about errors, well we have decided to end our relationship with you."  My mouth dropped open.  My head was racing.  What am I going to do?  Jobs were hard to get and I needed one.  They kept rambling, but I was thinking about job searching.

Finally the supervisors stand up to leave me alone with the HR moron.  She was supposed to be a help, but I found out that she was not a friend of the employee.  She was a tool of management.  She just made sure that i's were dotted and t's were crossed.  I had filed a complaint about my supervisor for a comment she made to me in private.  Since I replied to said comment, this HR person encouraged the supervisor to write me up for the offense.

She goes "are you OK?"  What do you think?  I guess she was waiting for me to cry.  She started going on about COBRA and other work related things.  All I wanted was out of the room.  I basically said "don't need your 'help' and am ready to leave".  I got up and walked out.  The supervisors were standing there.  I wanted to go to my desk to get my stuff, but they would not let me.  One of them walked up.

As I stood there, the other supervisor had a smirk on her face.  I told her to take that smirk off her face, I get enough of it from my kids.  She acted offended and went on how she tried to help me.  I laughed and ask her to shut up.  The other supervisor came down.  He did not grab all of my things.  Smirky goes on to tell me she will send it to me.   She did a poor job of that.  I had to send multiple emails to get my things.

At this point, I spent a month looking for a job.  Luckily, I found one pretty quick.  As I interviewed, they asked why I was not there.  I decided to tell the truth about poor training and throwing me to the lions.  They understood.  They said it takes a person about a year to become proficient at the process.  I ended up getting the job.

Angie decided to celebrate by adopting again.  We started the process.  Shortly after turning in our paperwork, we found Mia.  We went over and came back with her.  At this point, she needed to see doctors until we had things regulated.

Between Mia and the other girls, my wife was becoming tired.  She also was keeping up with her full time job.  Then her boss decides to start putting pressure on her.  She finally made a comment about choosing work or family.  She even says that maybe your husband will get a higher paying job so that you can become a stay at home mom.  Between the comments and her health, we decided it was time for her to dedicate her time to the children.


No comments: