Ad

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Work and Adoption #3. Dealing with downsizing during an adoption

Work was getting stressful for me.  Angie had already left one job to got to a better job.  I would have liked that security.  Between adoptions, I went to school to get my Masters in Business.  When I finished, I could not leave my job for a certain amount of time.  Since they had assisted in my tuition, I had to wait a certain number of months.  At the same time, the automation had begun.

They promised us that it would not affect our jobs.  They just found a different way to get rid of people.  I volunteered to go to a group that dealt with larger policies than I was used to.  I was promised that they would train me.  That was a lie.  I had about a weeks worth of training to do something that takes longer to learn.  The people in my class all knew the process.  After getting on the floor, they started to hit me with errors.

We had started the process for the second Chinese adoption.  We started to adopt a healthy child, but the wait went from a year to 5 to 7 years.  When it looked like it was going to grow, we decided to look at the special needs children.  We were blessed to find Qin Qin.  She looked like a quiet, shy child.  She just wanted a family.

That was what we were told, also.  She was a shy, quiet child.  She was more like a tomboy.  We felt she would fit in with our family.

The stress level was increasing.  They were putting me on restriction.  They warned me that one more error and I would be out.  I had people checking all of my policies.  This only increased my pressure.  I even tried to bring it up to my supervisor.  She did not care.

Then our travel dates came up.  We went to China in the summer.  It was hot.  When we got back, I thought I could manage work and a new child in my life.  Unfortunately, the stress got worse.  It mainly came from work.  One minute I am getting worse and then they announce that they were taking me off restriction.   I felt the stress melt away, until the supervisor says that if I make one more error, I will be fired.  She says that they do not give restrictions a second time for the same problems.

There was a bright side to this.  I did make my time, so that I did not have to worry about paying the company back for the tuition money.  Eventually I did get let go.  This will lead to the next blog, Adoption #4.

No comments: