Ad

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Fingerprinting. How many times will it take?

We got our fingerprinting appointment the other day.  This will be the second time for this adoption.  The first one is a clearance through the state to verify that we are not criminals.  This is usually done at police station or in this case a UPS store.  The state has contracted them to do it, I believe.  It was quick and painless.

This second appointment is more of a federal thing.  It happens after your Homestudy is sent to Texas.  This is the process for setting up the I-600A.  A fee does apply.  It is not just China that charges fees for an international adoption.  After they receive our homestudy, they will send us an appointment date.  We will go there and get it done.  If you look at this website  http://travel.state.gov/content/adoptionsabroad/en/adoption-process/who-can-adopt/eligibility-to-adopt.html , It will give you more information about this part of an international adoption.  These fingerprints are only valid for 15 months.  If you were waiting for a healthy child and the wait time exceeds the 15 months, you have to pay to get fingerprinted again.  Not only that, but other things may have to be updated.

Today is Tuesday, a couple of days after this post.  I went to get my fingerprints done.  Angie had it done yesterday.  I went in the office and the security personnel checked my letter and asked if I had a phone.  I told him it was in the car.  He gives me some paperwork to fill out.  I get up and hand it to a busy lady behind the desk.  When she looks at my information, she asks if my wife was here yesterday.  She said she was nice and wished us luck.

As I was sitting to wait for my turn, the finger printer calls my number.  She enters my information into her computer and has me put each finger on a scanner.  We talk about the adoption and within a minute or two, I was done.  Now back to waiting.


No comments: