Ad

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Talking with people about Adoption

Now a word of warning when you talk to people about adoption.  Especially when your children are special needs and from another country.  I don't know how many times I have had to bite my tongue when someone makes a rude comment.  Just the other day, I was talking about our new daughter.  I was talking about her possibly needing surgery when she gets home.  This person says that she does not think the health care in the US should have to cover costs for this.  This is my child she is talking about.

This was not the only time.  Another time, a person asked why I adopt from China when there are all the kids in the system in the US.  I don't think that is an appropriate thing to talk about, especially when were going to China to adopt a child.  Not only that, but we have adopted from this country.  So, I would have to say the response to that one would be that I have done both and if you are so concerned, get into fostering and adoption.  Been there and done that.

When these things are said, I try to ignore them.  Even the cost issue.  You really never get away from that one.  What we choose to do with our money is our own business.  We are not rich, but we do not waste money on things.  I'd rather get rid of things and bring a child into my world.  I find it interesting when they have stories about people who can not have children wasting thousands of dollars for IVF.  It is a risk that does not always equal to a pregnancy.  For some reason, people are programmed into thinking that their child needs to be of their blood.

My child are my family no matter who their birth parents are.  As they grow, I see them taking on characteristics of my wife and I.  I couldn't ask for anything else.

No comments: