Ad

Monday, July 14, 2014

Plasma Success

So, this weekend I started my part of the fundraising.  I gave plasma for the first time.  I told Angie she is literally draining me for this adoption.  Luckily, I found a place close to where I work.  They pay more then they give for blood.  I almost thought it was not going to happen.  I was looking at their site and it said students and faculty.  I called to find out how I would prove that.  I have my Devry student ID from when I was going for my Masters.  Low and behold, they said recent grads are accepted. 

Saturday morning, we all drive over to the facility.  It was a long way from home, but closer to work.  It was fairly easy to find.  I went in and there were a couple of people waiting.  I filled out the questionnaire, etc.  Then I had to have a physical.  This is always hard for me.  I always get nervous.  One time, I tried to give blood and they turned me down, because my pulse was too high.  My blood pressure was up.  Next up, my pulse.  I breathed a sigh of releif, when she said I passed. 

Giving Plasma is an adventure.  They have you sit in a chair and hook you up to a machine.  Since it was my first time, they reclined the chair.  This was done to fool my brain into thinking there was plenty of blood in my body, while the machine sucked it out.  Once in the machine, it seperates the plasma from the blood.  Finally it goes back into my body.  The contianer was the size of a Big Gulp.  They said that they were going to fill most of it.  It took four intervals. 

During that time, I had the Travel channel to watch.  Man V Food did not look that appealing.  Not to mention the nurse asked me if I had eaten something with high fat content.  I said yes, 3 doughnuts.  She said that my plasma had a dark tint to it.  Next time, I need to lay off the bad foods.  We'll see.  I survived the first visit.  I can go twice a week. 

No comments: