Ad

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Fun Spot Fiction

At the amusement park with two of my daughters and one friend.  I brought the youngest with me.  She's a daddy's girl.  I felt I could tire her out.  We have just returned from eating.  The rest is fiction.

We walked into the park.  A crowd had gathered.  The girls were excited to return, but they were a little full.  At the front, we noticed a sign we must have missed.  $10 Sky Coaster.  This is a ride where 1 to 3 get in a harness held in place by a big white cord.  Once in place, another line pulls them up high into the sky.  At the top, the person(s) has to pull a cord to release. Gravity does the rest.

Of course, my daughter would see it. 

"Dad, can we? It's only $10.  You will save a lot of money".

"I can save more by not paying for it".

"Please?"  she looks at me with a sad puppy dog look. 

Usually, that does not work.  I would just walk on and ignore it for the rest of the day. But, I was feeling generous.

"Okay".

They ran to the coaster.  When I made it, they held out a hand for the money and one with a clipboard.  On it was a waiver.  It had about 20-30 pages of finely typed legalese.  I did not have my glasses.  I guessed it was all that you could do and not do.  If anything happened, we would not sue them.

I flipped to the last page and signed it.  I turned to my daughter.  She had her hand on her stomach. 

"Are you okay?  Maybe we should rest awhile and come back."

Seeing her opportunity shrinking, she shook her head.

"Bring it on!"

They hook her and her friend into the harness.  It was time to rise.  We found out that it is 250 feet in the air.  I did not have glasses, I thought I could see a shade of green coming over my daughter's face.

At the top, they were silent.  The another gave them a count down and nothing.  He told them to pull the strings.  My daughter pulled.  It jerked a little and a laugh could be heard.  Before my daughter could react, the other line was pulled.

Then came a moment of freefall.  Something else was coming out of my daughter's mouth.  She looked like one of those dragons from Game of Thrones spitting fire across the land.

Only that was not fire projecting out of her mouth.  If I had not been trying to capture this special moment, I would be fine.  Like any good parent trying to catch that moment with a phone, I was caught off guard. 

I felt a drop.  I pulled away the phone and was hit full force by the ammunition.  It hit with such a force that I went down. I looked like Bill Murray's character from Ghostbusters.  My other daughter must have thought the same thing.

"Daddy got slimed! Daddy got slimed!"

No comments: